Sunday, August 29, 2010

We're here!

Hi family and friends!

We have arrived safely in the Dominican Republic, thanks to God's protection.  Our flight to Miami left and landed early.  However, the flight to Santo Domingo was delayed, but left on time anyway.  Everyone handled our long day fantastically, and we are all getting along well.  All of our luggage made it--praise God!  A few of the liquids leaked, including bubble solution--all over Elizabeth's clothes!

Craig and Libby Rowley, our hosts, have been very nice and helpful.  The food has been great!  So far we've eaten rice with peas, potato salad with carrots and apples, baked oatmeal, and local bananas.   The house is beautiful, and the weather was nice and cool for sleeping.  We all took showers, which were refreshingly cold.  Libby told us that we'll only have hot water if we're lucky.

This morning, we went to church.  Of course, the worship and sermon were in Spanish.  As I write this, some of the team members are discussing the words we caught during the passionately delivered sermon.  We heard a lot of "palabra del Dios" (God's Word), "gloria" (glory), and "Spirit al Santo" (Holy Spirit).  It was amazingly to see how excited the Dominican people are about God.  People knelt, raised their hands, prayed aloud, and said "Amen!" very often.  I've seen for my own eyes that God speaks all languages.

After church, our team was greeted with kisses, hugs, "Hola!" and "God bless you" from the adults and kids alike.  I met one lady.  Her name was Beckis (I think).  I'm excited to go to the Kids Alive campus and meet more kids!

This afternoon we are going to hike to a waterfall, so I need to get ready.  Please pray for safety, as the Dominicans drive crazily.  God bless you all.

Paula Humphries

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paula and Kids Alive Team,

    We're glad to finally hear from you and that you (and your luggage)are all in the DR safe and sound! I sat next to Mrs. Schaap in church this morning. She will be glad to read that you are doing well too. I tracked your flights yesterday so I assumed all the air travel went smoothly.

    Micah says, "Hello and I love you."

    We're getting ready to head to grandma's for the week. I'll write more later after we get there.

    Enjoy the cold showers - at least they will help wake you up and invigorate you!

    We had a wonderful communion servce at RBC this morning. I thought about all of you worshipping in Spanish. Did you catch much of the message?

    Enjoy your day and the hike to the waterfall.

    You all are in my thoughts and prayers,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paula and Elizabeth,

    How are you? I miss you both. All the cats miss you,Paula. We are praying for you.

    I LOVE YOU
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell my dad I love him please Mark schaap

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you have a blog, and to know everything is going well. Praying for all of you..jan schaap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for updating the blog, Paula. Please encourage others to write, too. :-) Have you figured out how to upload pics? Grandma Anderson says that if it rains, Elizabeth will leave a trail of bubbles. Oops! I'm the one who packed those! At least the clothes are cleaner now! Hope you had a relaxing day and are ready to hit the ground running. I hear Rich is a slave driver. Just kidding! :-) Be good, stay safe and give our love to Elizabeth and Rich.
    Kristin a.k.a. Mom

    ReplyDelete